This class will change how you analyze your data, make your decisions and gauge your profitability.
At work, you have access to more information than you know what to do with. You probably realize the information is valuable, but have no idea how to take advantage of it to make more profitable decisions. Learn to put to use information using common business applications to model the outcomes of different decisions and make better choices.
You’ll learn the practical steps to analyzing business data, which will help you optimize current operations and determine the outcomes of your decisions. Why continue making decisions in the dark, when this course will give you the tools to make better decisions, use more information and have better support for the decisions you make.
This class will detail the different methods of business modeling and demonstrate practical examples from numerous functional areas of business.
- Review of the basic concepts
- The seven-step modeling process
- Tips to improve your efficiency
- Goal Seek and Data Tables
- Introduction to macros
- Breakeven analysis – example
Basic Optimization Modeling
- Optimization versus what-if models
- Benefits of optimization modeling
- The basic Optimization Model
- Excel Add-Ins: Solver and Solver Table
- Product Mix – example
Advanced Optimization Modeling
- Study the assumptions
- Capital Budgeting- example
- Workforce Scheduling – example
- Other examples of Optimization Models
Network Optimization Modeling
- What is a Network Model?
- Transportation / Supply Chain – example
- Job or Machine Assignment – example
Decision Tree Modeling with Specialized Software
- Palisade software suite of Excel Add – Add Ins
- When do we use decision trees?
- Types of decision trees
- Palisade Excel add-in: Precision Trees
- Contract bidding – example
“This class opened the realm of possibility that has evolved with the use of Microsoft Excel. The capability of Excel has allowed an individual/company to explore and make informed decisions without having to wait weeks or months for the information. Dr. Sue is very knowledgeable of the subject she teaches & has worked to stay current in this field. Thank you for making the 2 days fun and full of information & learning.”
Steve Roach, Textron Aviation, Wichita, KS
“Vital information/tools/tips for any Analyst, new and seasoned professional alike!
“Daniel Kautz, Project Manager, Wichita Kansas
“Great program. Very impressed with the structure of the classroom, lunch, etc. The subject matter was very useful in our day-to-day job functions. Dr. Sue is an excellent instructor! I thoroughly enjoyed the small class and the one-on-one assistance. Great learning experience and I look forward to returning in September for another class with Dr. Sue.”
Linda Holleman, Retail Sales Administrator, Great Plains Industries, Inc.
“Great program. Excellent service overall. It was clear to me that CMD operates like a business and understand customer satisfaction and responding to the needs of customers. Dr. Sue was a great instructor. Very easy to work with and truly wants to help people learn the material. The real world examples are the best, these aren’t just made up out of the blue, but real world problems that you could see. I enjoyed “testing what I’ve learned” the most by building our own model from a paragraph.”
Brad Jones, Flint Hills Resources, Wichita, KS
Business analyst, financial analyst, estimators, directors, and anyone who works with data, finances, or estimating. This class is an excellent class working with Excel.
A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge, (PMBOK® Guide) – Sixth Edition, Project Management Institute, Inc., 2018.
Copyright and all rights reserved. Material from this publication has been reproduced with permission of PMI.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
Talent Triangle values:
- PMP/PgMP: 9 Technical 0 Leadership 3 Strategic
- PMI-ACP: 0 Technical 0 Leadership 3 Strategic
- PMI-SP: 0 Technical 0 Leadership 3 Strategic
- PMI-RMP: 0 Technical 0 Leadership 3 Strategic
- PfMP: 0 Technical 0 Leadership 3 Strategic
- PMI-PBA: 3 Technical 0 Leadership 3 Strategic