This class meets three consecutive Monday’s
November 5, 12 and 19, 2018
9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
December 3 and 10, 2018 both Instructors will meet with each company for a one-hour consulting to review the Strategic Plan created in the November sessions.
Brian Rawson, General Manager, North America, In2uit, Inc.
Doug Karber, Director, INVISTA, a Koch Industries subsidiary
This three-day series is focused on developing and sustaining groundbreaking strategies to build an organizations competitive edge. Those that are responsible for setting the pace of an organization, have irons in multiple fires, and lead a charge that, at times, is difficult to direct.
These sessions are designed to lay the foundation for strategic groundwork that will strengthen and raise an organization into a market power-house. Strategic leaders inspire others, they transform their organizations and they deliver results. This series will give you the knowledge and inspiration to become a successful strategic leader.
- Gain a deep understanding of the key roles and responsibilities of business executives
- Develop a new lens to view competitiveness in product, talent and financial markets through a new understanding of stakeholder objectives and the relationships among them
- Enhanced critical thinking: the essential skill for every business executive
- Re-examined principles of value creation, the key basis for business decisions
Who should attend:
This three-day series is focused on those responsible for corporate strategy implementation for their organization. Senior executives, Vice-Presidents, Board of Directors, corporate development heads and Leadership teams whose roles have strategic implications for their organizations and who are motivated to become better leaders.
Morning: Vision & Strategy Development
- What is strategy & where does it come from?
- Change, disruption, and the innovator’s dilemma
- Grow or die: Discovering strategic growth options
- Asking the right questions
- The growth matrix
Afternoon: Strategic Decision Making
- Decision traps
- The need for a decision framework
- Key elements of a decision framework
- Aspects of successful decision-making
Morning: Economic Analysis
- Economic Thinking
- Economic Modeling
Afternoon: Managing for Strategic Success
- Agents & stewards vs. Objects & Owners
- Evidence-based Management
- “Danger Will Robinson!”
- Casual benchmarking
- Doing what’s worked in the past
- Following unexamined ideologies
- Staffing and the “war for talent”
- Financial incentives and compensation
Morning: Strategic Ventures
- Types of strategic ventures – the Pro’s and Con’s
- The venture process
- The due diligence process
- Key elements of venture legal agreements
Afternoon: Organizing for Strategic Success
- Organization design tensions
- Strategy vs. Structure
- Accountability vs. Adaptability
- Ladders vs. Rings
- Self-interest vs. Mission success
- Jobs & Departments vs. Teams & Projects
- Change leadership
- How to stop change in its tracks
- Turning and righting the ship