"We have time in the schedule, and money is not an issue."
Said NO ONE ever.
Discover how to keep both of these variables
under control with your project.
This class meets in-person two
consecutive days April 14 & 15, 2021
Cost management and a well-constructed schedule are the backbone of any successful project. A project’s schedule brings the entire picture of the project life-cycle into focus, giving clear and concise expectations of project milestones and completion date. Managing costs is more than tracking expenses; it considers how much work was done for the amount spent.
Hands-on exercises are used to help you understand the Project Management Institute, Inc. processes for project scheduling and cost management and the principles and techniques they use. This two-day program will equip you with the critical, working knowledge you need to put together winning projects that meet the constraints of your time and budget.
- Understand the importance of a good work breakdown structure in managing cost and schedule.
- Use Precedence Diagramming Method to develop a network diagram.
- Practice estimating techniques that can help you create a realistic schedule and budget.
- Use Critical Path Method to calculate project duration and flexibility.
- Understand the importance of a time-phased budget and how to create it.
- Understand techniques for collecting actual performance data and the impact on reports.
- Calculate Earned Value variance and performance index for schedule and cost.
- Use these calculations to forecast end of project performance.
- Understand the trade-offs between schedule, cost and scope.
Overview of Project Management Basics
- PMI and the PMBOK® Guide processes
- The project charter and stakeholder expectations
- Competing demands – scope, schedule, cost
- Create a schedule management plan
- Create a network diagram
- Precedence Diagramming Method
- Lead time and lag time
- Estimating techniques
- PERT, analogous, parametric, Delphi, bottom up, top down
- Range estimates and confidence levels
- Estimate resources and duration’s
- Labor Equipment, Materials, Supplies
- Resource Assignment Matrix
- Effort, availability and commitment
- Create a baseline schedule
- Critical Path Method
- Critical Chan Method
- Project duration and float
- Schedule analysis and compression techniques
- Create a cost management plan
- Estimate costs
- Create a time-phased budget
Controlling Schedule and Cost
- Compare actual performance to planned
- Collect actuals
- Earned Value Management
- Forecast and trend analysis
- Manage changes
“Simple illustrations that were easy to follow and as a result I was able to grasp the concepts taught.
Caroline Omoding, Textron Aviation, Wichita, Kansas
“I love taking DeAnn’s courses. She’s very energetic and puts a lot of work into her lessons. All examples are very relevant and practical. I enjoy the quick pace, and applicable problems. There’s always a good balance of lecture and hands-on activities! I love the Master of Project Management classes, mainly because of the Instructors! 🙂
Jenna Ginest, Wichita Public Schools, USD 259, Wichita, Kansas
“DeAnn always does a great job presenting. She is a great instructor – very knowledgeable and personable.”
Kimberly Gribble, Logistics Coordinator, S&T Telephone, Brewster, KS