How do we establish enough influence over key stakeholders to get our work done when we have no “real” authority over them?
This in-person class meets
two consecutive days.
Thursday November 9 and
Friday November 10, 2023
We know what needs to be done and we know how to do it, yet we can’t get our boss, our colleagues, and yes, even the people who report to us, to do “the right thing.”
Some days it feels like we’re just banging our head against the wall. The result…. a whopping headache!
- How to identify and analyze key stakeholders on your projects
- How to build and utilize stakeholder profiles to use in influencing
- The importance of defining clear roles and responsibilities
- How to establish and maintain trust-based relationships
- How to instill credibility or self-trust
- How to weigh stakeholder influence and the impacts to your project
- Decision-making styles and how to influence each
- Appropriate media for the communications
- Essential elements of a communication plan
- Strategies to build trust and communicate more effectively in a virtual team environment
- What difficult stakeholders really want from you
- Language and ways to verbally manage difficult stakeholders
- How to proactively manage stakeholders
- How to effectively influence stakeholders
- How to use Negotiations as a Project Manager
Influence & authority
- Influence vs. persuasion
- Power vs. authority
- Personality types
- Barriers to influence
- Sources of power
- Definition of trust
- Types of trust
- How to build trust
- Trust busters
- Restoring trust
- Influencing the boss
- Influencing cifficult subordinates
- Influencing colleagues
- Influencing groups, departments, or divisions
- Communication barriers
- Rumor mill vs. grapevine
- Decision making styles and how to influence each
- Communications planning
- Virtual team communication
- Communication media
- What makes a stakeholder difficult
- The fear factor
- More effective communication
- What difficult stakeholders want
- Ways to help and hinder difficult stakeholders
- A.F.E. model
- Determining the other party’s needs
- Building confidence
- Eight ways to increase your power in negotiations
- Negotiation Tactics
“This class was very informative and this was a great instructor with real world examples very straight forward. I also like the reiteration of topics and this was one of the better classes!”
Stephanie Hershey, Corporate Project Manager, Fidelity Bank
This class is for anyone who works on a project team and has to get work accomplished and projects complete via a team of people that they don’t have any authority over.
This includes the project manager, the project team members, and the people who work to support major projects or outside changes – support people who are several levels away from the decision making, but play a responsible role in outcomes.
Substitutions are free and must be done prior to the start of the class or certificate program.
Cancellations or rescheduling must be received in writing and full refunds will be given up to four business days prior to the start of class.
Any cancellation or reschedule submitted with three or less business days notice is subject to a $35 charge on 1 or 2 day classes and a $75 charge on certificate programs.
No refunds after the first day of the class or certificate program.